Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Seventeen Years Ago Today

Seventeen years ago today Vonda and I became the proud parents of an 8 pound, 13 & ½ ounce, 21 & ¼ inch baby boy we named Ryan Taylor Whitley. Taylor was born on August 22, 1989 at 3:22 PM at Forrest General Hospital in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. I remember so many things about that day.

Many of our friends gathered at the hospital to celebrate his arrival with us. Our pastor and many staff members were present. Vonda’s parents along with her grandmother were there. My mother, along with one of my nieces drove down from Birmingham to celebrate his birth also. Vonda was in labor for 33 hours. Ouch! I think she slept for the next two days. Overall, it was an amazing day.

One event from that day that sticks out in my mind was catching a tender moment with our pediatrician. Just a minute or two after Taylor was born he was placed in the capable hands of Dr. Ronnie Kent. Not knowing I was standing behind him, I decided to catch this moment on video tape. Toward the end of the examination I watched Ronnie placed his hand on my son’s chest, bow his head, close his eyes and pray. He prayed for several minutes. Taylor seemed to know what he was doing, and remained as still as a newborn could remain.

It was difficult for me to keep the camera focused on my son because tears were filling my eyes. It did not surprise me to see Dr. Kent praying over my first born child. He is one of the Godliest men I know. And to have him pray over my son was a distinct honor. I do not know what Dr. Kent prayed. Whatever he prayed I know it was from his heart, and I am so glad he prayed it. (Perhaps some time I can write about the time Ronnie prayed during a long distance phone call for my son to be healed of a serious sickness, and within hours Taylor was up and about asking for something to eat.)

Today, as you might imagine, is a special day in our house. Seventeen years ago my son entered this world. And seventeen years ago his mother and I began a journey that has introduced us to so many blessings. I thank the Lord for both the privileges and challenges of being a parent, especially to such a fine young man as Ryan Taylor Whitley.

No comments: