Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Two Sundays, Four Churches

Thank you, CrossPoint, for allowing me to take my vacation during the month of July. Even though Papa Rick’s death altered our vacation plans, I am still enjoying my time off and away. I needed the break, and I think you needed the break from me as well.

The last two Sundays of worship without responsibilities have been pleasant. The first Sunday I worshiped at FBC Pell City, where Dr. John Thweatt is pastor. I attended their contemporary worship at 9:30 AM. John hit a home run with a timely message on fasting. Then, on the way home, I stopped by another church before their worship concluded.
This last Sunday my friend Buddy Gray and I drove to Muscle Shoals, Alabama to worship with our friend, Dr. Ron Ethridge, pastor of Woodward Avenue Baptist Church. We arrived much earlier than expected, and were therefore able to worship at another church. Ron used John 13:1-17 as his text, while preaching about the blessedness of serving others. He did a great job preaching.
So, in two Sundays I have attended four different worship celebrations. And each church has been totally different. Of course my favorite experiences where with Drs. Thweatt and Ethridge. Both men are great communicators, and both serve very friendly churches.

The other two churches surprised me. One church had a large facility with a small congregation. The other church had a small facility with a large congregation. Neither of the two pastors impressed me with their messages. However, the second church—with the smaller facility—was very friendly. After finding a seat at the second church, someone offered to slide over on their pew so Buddy and I could sit together. You may think that is an insignificant act, but I felt like it was a great gesture in welcoming us. I soon realized that it was not the preaching ability of the pastor that drew so many people to that family of faith as much as it was the sweet spirit of the people.

While visiting these kingdom enterprises I have asked myself more than a few times the following question: “What do people think of CrossPoint when the visit us?” Read the question one more time for clarity. I am not asking what we think of ourselves. I am asking what our guests think of us. You will agree with me there is a world of difference between the two questions.

Thank goodness many of our guests have a way of letting us know what they think of us. Some guests use our webpage to post their thoughts. Others are thoughtful enough to return our “First-Time Guest”[1] survey we drop them in the mail the following week. The number one strength they mention about our church is not our worship, neither is it the preaching.

Any guesses on the number one response? The number one item most guest list as to what they like about our church is the “friendliness of the people”. I think the friendly nature of the church has more to do with adding to the kingdom than any other trait.

Next weekend my plan is to attend two more churches on Sunday morning. Who knows where that adventure will take me? I am confident of this: I will certainly learn something either from the pastor or the people.
[1] The First Time Guest Survey asks three simple questions:
1) What did you notice first?
2) What did you like the most?
3) What did you like the least?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When making a comment, please put your first and last name on your post. This provides accountability for things said, both positive and negative and will prevent the opportunity for someone to hide behind some cyberwall and launch faceless, worthless attacks on people.

MrsC said...

I am going to take the "First Time Guest Survey" from my personal experience with Crosspoint:
1. What did you notice first? I noticed a very different look from traditional churches including a full band, chairs instead of pews, and freedom of worship.
2. What did you like the most? Contemporary worship
3. What did you like the least?
The structure of the Sunday school hour. We were not sure where to go and which class we fit into.

We love Crosspoint and cannot imagine being anywhere else.

Brandi Caldwell