Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Time Alone with My Father

The biggest highlight of my day is my time alone with God. I need it. I crave it. I cannot serve Him effectively without it.

My days, like yours, can be very frenetic. My time alone with God enables me to slow down the velocity of my day. I also find a steadiness that comes with my time alone with my Father. This steadiness allows me to pace myself throughout my day.
This morning the Lord took me on a fascinating journey through His word. There is no way I can take you through my entire time alone with the Lord. I have decided, however, to let you peek over my shoulder at a few streams of thought.
I began my time alone with my Father by quoting Psalm 34:1-4, which reads:

I will extol the Lord at all times:
His praise will always be on my lips.
My soul will boast in the Lord;
Let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
Glorify the Lord with me;
Let us exalt His name together.
I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
He delivered me from all my fears.

Through that passage I was overcome by the glorious presence of God, Almighty.

Later in my devotional time I was compelled to admit my sin. In doing so, I was reminded of Psalm 51. The first verse reminded me of why I am forgiven. David records:

“Have mercy on me on, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.”

It is according to God’s “unfailing love” and “great compassion” I am forgiven. O God, thank you for loving me that much.

Later in the morning, my Father took me to 1 Corinthians 4:7, where He humbled me with these brief but very serious set of questions:

“For who makes you different from anyone else?
What do you have that you did not receive?
And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?”

Five minutes alone with the Lord will soon lead to thirty. Thirty minutes alone with the Almighty easily becomes sixty. Then, before you know it, you are spending countless hours alone with Him. I encourage you to start with five minutes, and then see what God will do.

No comments: